On Thursday, October 6th, 2016, dozens of cities around the country are gearing up for a demonstration of support for their public schools and the fight for the Schools All Our Children and Communities Deserve. This is the third national walk-in event organized by the Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools – and the movement is growing!
As public schools are increasingly threatened by a view of education that supports privatization, zero-tolerance discipline policies, less funding, and high-stakes standardized tests, we are fighting back with a broad vision of American public education that prioritizes racial justice, equity and well-resourced, world-class, public community schools.
In San Francisco, Jobs with Justice is working with Coleman Advocates, United Educators of San Francisco, SEIU Local 1021, ACCE, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Legal Services for Children, SF Families Union and AFT to organize morning “Walk-in” actions at a dozen school sites calling for:
- Full funding for our public schools, and Yes on California Proposition 55;
- Full implementation of SFUSD’s Safe and Supportive Schools Resolution and an end to suspensions that disproportionately impact African American and Latino students;
- Support for real family and community engagement in all our schools:
- Yes on Proposition W for Free City College.
- Balboa High School, 1000 Cayuga Ave
- Bret Harte Elementary School, 1035 Gilman Ave
- Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 School, 3351 23rd St
- George Washington Carver Elementary School, 1360 Oakdale Ave
- Cleveland Elementary School, 455 Athens St*
- Glen Park Elementary School, 151 Lippard Ave
- AP Giannini Middle School, 3151 Ortega St
- Lafayette Elementary School, 4545 Anza St
- Longfellow Elementary School, 755 Morse St
- Malcolm X Elementary School, 350 Harbor Road
- Thurgood Marshall High School, 45 Conkling St
- George Moscone Elementary School, 2576 Harrison St
- Redding Elementary School, 1421 Pine St
*General community members are encouraged to join the Walk-in at Cleveland Elementary School at 9am at 455 Athens Street at Persia.
On Oct. 6th, there will also be a Noon rally/performance at the City College of San Francisco Civic Center Campus, 1170 Market Street at Civic Center BART to support the Yes on Proposition W and Free City College Campaign. Check out the Facebook event for more info and to RSVP.
For more information and to get involved in any of the events on the Oct. 6th day of action, contact Gordon Mar, Jobs with Justice, email@example.com, (415) 994-2496.